Things you must know about ITR filing for FnO Trader

If you have income from Futures and Options (F&O) trading, you are required to file your income tax return (ITR) and report the income generated from such activities. Here are some key points to consider when filing your ITR for F&O income:

  1. Business Income: F&O trading income is treated as business income, and you should file your ITR accordingly. Use the appropriate ITR form for reporting business income, such as ITR-3 or ITR-4 (Presumptive Taxation Scheme).
  2. Maintain Records: Keep detailed records of all your F&O transactions, including contract notes, brokerage statements, bank statements, and any other relevant documents. These records will help you calculate the taxable income accurately.
  3. Profit/Loss Calculation: Calculate your profit or loss from F&O trading for the financial year. It is determined by taking into account the difference between the sale value and the purchase value of F&O contracts, along with any other related expenses such as brokerage charges.
  4. Turnover Calculation: Calculate your turnover from F&O trading. The turnover is the total of the absolute value of the differences between the sale and purchase prices of F&O contracts. It is used for determining whether you are required to get your accounts audited or not.
  5. Audit Requirement: If your turnover from F&O trading exceeds a specified threshold, currently set at ₹2 crore, you are required to get your accounts audited by a chartered accountant. The audit report needs to be filed along with your ITR.
  6. ITR Filing: Use the appropriate ITR form based on your eligibility and income sources. You can file your ITR online through the Income Tax Department’s e-filing portal or seek assistance from a tax professional.
  7. Reporting: In the ITR form, fill in the relevant sections related to business income and provide the details of your F&O trading, such as turnover, profit/loss, and other required information.
  8. Tax Payment: Pay any applicable taxes on your F&O income as per the income tax slabs and rates applicable to you. Advance tax payments may also be required if you have a tax liability above a specified limit.

Remember, it is advisable to consult with a qualified tax professional or chartered accountant for personalized guidance and to ensure compliance with the latest tax regulations and requirements in your jurisdiction.

To File your ITR with our Expert Assistance Contact us Today:
call 9022791939